Professor Giuseppe Di Fatta
Computer Science | Data Science | Data Mining | Machine Learning
- Professor of Computer Science
- Head of Department, Department of Computer Science , University of Reading, UK
- Member of the Technical Committee on Machine Learning (TC-ML) of the IEEE SMC Society
- Associate member of the EPSRC peer review college
Prof. Di Fatta received the "Laurea" degree (MEng) in Electronic Engineering and the PhD degree in Electronic, Computer and Telecommunications Engineering, from the University of Palermo, Italy.
- 1996-1998: Research Assistant, Research Center on Computer Networks, Italian National Research Council (CERE-CNR), Palermo, Italy
- 1998 (Aug.-Nov.): Research Assistant, Institute for Computer Communications and Applications, Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), Switzerland.
- 1998-99: Research Fellow, International Computer Science Institute (ICSI), University of California, Berkeley, USA
- 2000-04: Research Fellow/Lecturer, High Performance Computing and Networking Institute of the Italian National Research Council (ICAR-CNR), Palermo, Italy
- 2004-06: PostDoc/Lecturer, Bioinformatics and Information Mining Group, Department of Computer and Information Science, University of Konstanz, Germany
- 2006-: Lecturer/Associate Professor/Professor, University of Reading, UK
- Since April 2016: Head of Department, Department of Computer Science, University of Reading, UK
- Data Mining and Machine Learning algorithms (e.g., Clustering, Classification, Deep Learning, Multidimensional Scaling, Bayesian Inference)
- Parallel and Distributed Computing, Big Data Analytics and Mining
- Data Science and Machine Learning platforms: see the KNIME Certification Program in Data Science
- Multidisciplinary applications of Data Mining algorithms (e.g., in Neuroscience, Climate Science, Chemo/Bioinformatics), such as Classification of Alzheimer's Disease MRI Data
- Data Science Algorithms and Tools (BSc Computer Science)
- Data Analytics and Mining (MSc Advanced Computer Science)
Other Professional Activities
- General Workshops co-chair of the 20th IEEE International Conference on Data Mining (ICDM), 2020
- Senior Program Committee, the ACM SIGKDD Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD), since 2019.
- Senior Program Committee, the IEEE International Conference on Data Science and Advanced Analytics (DSAA), since 2019.
- Funder and co-chair of the IEEE ICDM Workshop on Data Mining in Networks (DAMNet), since 2011
- Program Committee, IJCAI Special Track on AI in FinTech, the 29th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence and the 17th Pacific Rim International Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI-PRICAI), 2020.
- Program Chair of the 11th International Conference on Internet and Distributed Computing Systems (IDCS 2018)
- Associate Editor of the Elsevier Journal of Network and Computer Applications (JNCA), 2013-2018
- General Chair of the 8th International Conference on Internet and Distributed Computing Systems (IDCS 2015)
- Coordinator of the Erasmus Intensive Programme on the Future Internet, Aug. 5-16, 2013, Windsor, UK
- Chair of the IEEE CloudCom Workshop on Data Analytics and Mining in the Cloud (DaMiC) 2012, Taipei, Taiwan
- Member of technical programme committees (most recent only):
- The BIBM Workshop " Towards Precision Medicine: Network Based Big Data Integration and Analysis", December 3-6, 2018, Madrid, Spain
- The 4th International Workshop on Parallel and Cloud-based Bioinformatics and Biomedicine, (ParBio 2015), Sept. 9-12, 2015, Atlanta, GA, USA
- The IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics (SMC 2014), San Diego, California, USA
- The 3rd International Workshop on Data-intensive Process Management in Large-Scale Sensor Systems
(DPMSS 2014): From Sensor Networks to Sensor Clouds, jointly held with the 14th IEEE/ACM CCGrid, Chicago, USA
- The 7th Workshop on Biomedical and Bioinformatics Challenges for Computer Science (BBC 2014), held in conjunction with the International Conference on Computational Science (ICCS 2014), Cairns, Australia
- The 13th IEEE International Conference on Ubiquitous Computing and Communications (IUCC), Dec 19-21, 2014 in Chengdu, China.
- Past activities as organiser, general chair and area chair include:
IEEE ICDM DaMNet since 2011, ECML PKDD 2006 Workshop on Parallel Data Mining (PDM) 2006 (Berlin, Germany), Computational Life Science (CompLife) 2006 (Cambridge, UK), Distributed Data Mining in the Life Science (LifeDDM) 2005 (Konstanz, Germany), School of Intelligent Data Analysis (IDA) 2001 (Palermo, Italy).
- Keynotes and invited presentations:
WoW 2019 (Reading, UK), ACDL 2019 (Siena, Italy), EURO-PAR 2018 (Turin, Italy), IEEE ICMLC 2017 (Ningbo, China), IDCS 2014 (Calabria, Italy), HiBB Euro-Par 2013 (Haachen, Germany), Dagstuhl Seminar on Parallel Data Analysis 2013, AP2PS 2011 (Lisbon, Portugal), ACAI 2005 (Ljubljana, Slovenia), Summer School of the Doctoral Programme of the University of Konstanz 2004, IEEE Military Communications Conference (MILCOM) 2002 (Anaheim, CA-USA), Alcatel TWID 2001 (Stuttgart, Germany).